Last month also included some dabbling with sourdough and I'm still struggling to make it happen. However, I did make a couple batches of flatbread for Christmas.
Plastic containers are so handy to have on hand but with all the talk about the xenohormones and chemicals that leach into our food, (read all about it here) I've tried to eliminate many of them from regular use by using lots of different sizes of canning jars and buying a couple sets of glass containers which I love!
It's easy to talk about things that should be so in my kitchen but when things get busy, it's also easy to try making choices at the store that may reflect at least some of my goals. But, when things get hectic, sometimes I panic to get food on the table and all my goals go right out the window for a meal or two. And, everyone at my house is not on board with my healthy diet plans so if he goes to the store, there's no telling what he'll bring home!
So, when I think about goals for my kitchen in January, there are a few things I'd like to tackle.
- Purging my kitchen of most or all refined, processed foods.
- Prepare for a 3 week eating plan to kick start the new year.
- Plan and prepare ahead of time so I don't get caught off guard when I get busy. One aspect of this goal is to make breakfast bars weekly because they are a healthy snack that is easy to grab when you need something to tide you over until mealtime or as a quick breakfast with yogurt.
- Baking bread at least once a week including flatbread and /or crackers.
- Make 24 Fruit on the Bottom yogurt instead of 12 each time because we love it, too!